Bevill State Community College is a part of the State system of community, junior, and technical colleges authorized by the Alabama Legislature under Act No. 93, approved May 3, 1963. At the same time, Act No. 94 vested the authority and responsibility for the operation and maintenance of the state two-year colleges with the State Board of Education.
Bevill State Community College was created in 1992, by the consolidation of two premier two-year colleges which were a part of the original legislation: Walker State Technical College, formerly a vocational/technical institution which opened in 1966, and Brewer State Junior College, a two-year academic transfer institution, created in 1969. The Hamilton Campus of Northwest Alabama Community College, primarily a vocational/technical campus which was created in 1966,merged with Bevill State Community College in 1993 as one of its main campuses. UAB/Walker College, established in 1938 as an academic transfer college, completed the Bevill State four-campus college in 1998.
The four main campuses, and two instructional sites, offer university parallel and applied technology educational opportunities to over one-quarter million people in a seven county area. Bevill State's service area spans over 4,600 square miles, from the Birmingham city limits to the Mississippi state line.