A A 🖶

Dual Enrollment Program


The purpose of both the Dual Credit and Accelerated Credit Program at Bevill State Community College is to provide an opportunity for qualified high school students to enhance their education by enrolling early in college courses. You will be able to experience college-level courses, explore career options, and shorten the time required to complete a college degree. You have the opportunity to earn high school and college credit simultaneously. The courses may be reflected on both your high school and college transcripts.

Dual Enrollment Scholarship Application 


  • Dual Credit Students have the opportunity to earn high school and college credit simultaneously.
  • Students gain an early start on achieving an Associate or Baccalaureate degree.
  • Students are considered BSCC students and are allowed access to all services provided by the institution.
  • Dual enrollment courses enrich course opportunities and academic experiences for high school students.
  • Dual enrollment students avoid unnecessary duplication of course work.
  • Students who complete dual enrollment or accelerated courses increase their flexibility when scheduling courses at four-year schools.
  • Dual and accelerated credit courses shorten the time to attain a college degree.
  • Students and parents save money, since BSCC’s tuition is less expensive than most universities.
  • Students have the opportunity to complete college courses transferable to a four-year institution.
  • Grades earned through dual enrollment will become part of a student’s permanent college transcript and high school record if dual credit is awarded.
  • Students who successfully complete a course through dual enrollment will never again wonder if they are ready to meet the challenge of college.


A high school student is eligible for Dual Credit if all the following criteria is met:

  • Students must meet the entrance requirements of the College as stipulated in the ACCS Policy and Procedure for Dual Enrollment for Dual Credit for High School Students.
  • Be a rising 10th, 11th, or 12th grader at the time of enrolling in a dual enrollment course.
  • Have a minimum cumulative (unweighted) grade point average (GPA) as follows:
    • ACADEMICS ONLY (dual 2.5 min GPA, accelerated 3.0 min GPA)
    • COMPUTER SCIENCE (2.5 min GPA)
    • EMS (2.5 min GPA)
    • SALON & SPA MANAGEMENT (2.0 min GPA)
  • Dual Enrollment Registration form with counselor signature will serve as documentation of the student’s cumulative grade point average.
  • Meet the admission requirements of the College for the academic or career technical program selected.
  • Provide the online Dual Enrollment Authorization form (with required signatures).
  • Complete the ACT  or assessment test in order to determine placement in English, speech, and math courses and meet pre-requisites for all approved courses at the College.

A high school student is eligible for Accelerated credit student admission if all of the following criteria is met:

  • The student has successfully completed the 10th grade.
  • The student provides a certification from the local principal and/or designee certifying that the student has a minimum cumulative (unweighted) 3.0 average and recommending the student be admitted under this policy.
  • The student may enroll only in postsecondary courses for which high school prerequisites have been completed (e.g., a student may not take English Composition until all required high school English courses have been completed). The student must take placement test and place in eligible courses.
  • Provide the Dual Enrollment Authorization form (with required signatures).
  • The student must meet admission requirements established by the College.


Students who meet the criteria for initial admission to a Dual Enrollment Program as specified in the ACCS Procedure for Dual Enrollment for Dual Credit for high school students will remain in continuous eligibility as long as a grade of “C” or better in all attempted college courses is earned. Students who fail to meet this minimum grade requirement or who withdraw from a course will be suspended from the program for a minimum of one term. The student may not re-enroll until the suspension has been served or the student is approved for reinstatement. For re-entry, the student must reapply to the program and must meet the minimum (unweighted) grade point average as stated under Student Eligibility.

Dual Enrollment Appeal of Suspension 

Students who fail to meet the dual enrollment continuous eligibility requirements will be suspended from the program for a minimum of one term. Students may appeal this decision if their poor academic performance or need to withdraw was due to extenuating circumstances.  Students may request consideration for reinstatement by completing the Dual Enrollment Appeal form.   


  • Discuss dual enrollment options with your high school counselor to determine if you are eligible to enroll for Dual Credit at BSCC. 
  • Complete the online BSCC Application for Admission.
  • Complete the ACT or assessment test in order to determine placement in English, speech, and math courses and meet pre-requisites for all approved courses at the College.
  • Counselor completes the Dual Enrollment Registration form with approved courses listed.


  • Discuss options with your high school counselor to determine if you are eligible to enroll for Accelerated credit at BSCC.
  • Complete the online BSCC Application for Admission.
  • Complete the ACT, or assessment test in order to determine placement in English, speech, and math courses and meet pre-requisites for all approved courses at the College.
  • Counselor will complete the Dual Enrollment Registration form with approved courses listed.


Bevill State Community College Testing Services supports the educational mission of the College by providing quality testing and assessment services. Our mission is to provide reliable testing administration and high-quality customer service in a secure environment that supports academic success. To promote student success, Testing Services seeks to provide comprehensive, quality testing services in a calm, secure environment. We strive to give prompt, courteous and knowledgeable service to all students and promote honesty, integrity and fairness in all testing procedures.

Dually enrolled students registering for college-level English or math courses must be placed into courses using the current ACCA-approved placement guidelines. Students who do not register for college-level English or math courses are not required to take any English or math placement test, regardless of their grade levels. 

Students must meet all applicable prerequisites prior to enrolling in courses. 

ACCUPLACER is a computerized test that may be used to assess appropriate placement in English, speech, and math courses. The test is untimed but on average, students take about 2-3 hours to complete the test. There is no charge for the first time the student takes the placement exam. Make sure to contact your high school counselor, ACT scores may be sufficient for your placement.

A student who wishes to challenge ACCUPLACER placement results may retest once per academic year provided there is evidence the student has completed test preparation activities. Additional preparation includes but is not limited to: academic boot camps, online pre-tests, and placement test applications. Bevill State will charge a one-time fee for retesting per subject area of $10.00. Placement test scores will be valid for three years from the date of the original or retest assessment. No fee is charged to retest if scores are invalid.


Students are responsible for the cost of tuition, fees, textbooks, and materials/supplies as required in the syllabus of each course and institutional policy unless covered by the Dual Enrollment Scholarship or alternative funding sources.  All courses, both dual credit and accelerated credit, follow the Bevill State Community College tuition rate. After completing the registration process, a student must pay tuition and fees through the student OneACCS portal or the Bevill State Business Office located on each campus.

Students must adhere to institutional policies and deadlines to avoid being automatically dropped from course rolls. 


On-Line:        Student OneACCS account
In-Person:      Go to the Business Office on any campus to pay by Visa/Mastercard, cash, or check


In effort to increase affordability at BSCC, a payment plan offered through OneACCS is available for all registered students who meet the qualifications.  This option provides students an opportunity to manage college costs by budgeting tuition payments over time.  Students and their authorized parties may make full or partial online payments, set up payment plans and manage their accounts. 


High school students are not eligible for Pell grants.  However, students wishing to enroll in dual enrollment courses may apply for assistance through the Alabama Community College System Dual Enrollment Scholarship.  The scholarship may provide tuition, fees, textbooks, and materials and supplies as required in the syllabus of each course.  Scholarship funds are contingent upon allocations by the Alabama Legislature.  The College must prioritize the scholarships to be awarded based on the allocation received for the Spring, Summer, and Fall semesters of the school year that funds are received.    

Students may also apply for scholarship funds provided by the College, local school boards, or other entities, if available.  

Important:  Students should be aware that failing or dropping courses may have an impact on college financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). 


Participation in a Dual Enrollment program is considered to be a choice on the part of the student.  Therefore, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requirements concerning a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) do not apply in a postsecondary educational setting.  Furthermore, since requirements under the IDEA do not apply to the postsecondary level, services described in the Individual Education Plan (IEP) will not be required for Dual Enrollment courses.  

The College will comply with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) which guarantees that “no qualified individual with a disability may be excluded from participation in, denied benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination if otherwise qualified”.  Students with disabilities who meet the prerequisites for the College courses may be provided reasonable accommodations that allow equal access.           

It is the student’s responsibility to disclose and provide current documentation of his or her disability to the appropriate Campus Disability Services Coordinator prior to each semester.  Decisions regarding accommodations provided in College courses will be made by the College upon submission of appropriate disability documentation. The College will not provide modifications to change the course content or performance expectations that would substantially alter the essential functions or physical demands of the course.  Some accommodations available at the high school may not be provided by the College.


Class attendance is considered an essential part of the education process.  Students are expected to punctually attend all classes in which they are registered.  Excessive absences, regardless of the reason or circumstance, may interfere with the student’s ability to successfully complete the requirements of the course.

  • Students will follow the College’s schedule of classes including holidays and breaks unless agreements have been made between the College and high schools dictating otherwise.
  • Students are expected to attend each class session, arrive on time, and remain for the entire class session.  
  • Absences occurring because of emergencies or school-scheduled functions may be excused with proper notification to the instructor.  
  • When a student is absent from class, the student is responsible for all material covered in the class and for any assignments made in class.  The instructor is not required to review any material missed as a result of the student being absent, nor is the instructor required to provide an opportunity for makeup work.  
  • In case of excessive absences, the student should withdraw from the course before the last date to withdraw, as published in the Academic Calendar.
  • All CTE Dual Enrollment classes adhere to this policy.  Before the published withdrawal date in career technical classes (last date to withdraw with a “W”), a student may be administratively withdrawn from any course for excessive absences when the student has missed more than 20 percent of the total hours that the class meets.


  • Students are suggested to take two (2) classes per semester during the high school academic year (Fall and Spring semesters).* 
  • Student enrollment in a combined number of secondary and college courses per term will not exceed that which is educationally sound as determined by the institution and the secondary educational entity. 
  • Students in the CTE programs who require academic courses to graduate, and whose placement scores are sufficient, may also take academic courses for Dual Enrollment credit.
  • Students must meet continuous eligibility requirements to continue in the program. 
  • Students are encouraged to take summer classes to shorten their time toward a career and technical education certification or degree.


All grades are subject to Public Law 93-380, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).  In no case will grades be divulged via telephone or fax. The College’s credit and grading system as outlined in the Catalog applies to ALL students.  For Dual Enrollment students, instructors will also submit a numeric grade. The College will report the numeric grade to the student’s high school counselor.  Some key items have been provided below:

  • Students will receive a final course grade each semester for the coursework during the semester.  Grades are not averaged to determine a yearly grade.  College courses are based upon semester.
  • Students should do the very best work possible in their college courses.  In order for courses to transfer to four-year schools, a grade of “C” or higher is required.  
  • Students will receive final grades through their OneACCS portal. Bevill State does not report or release grades to parents or legal guardians. 
  • Due to FERPA, it is inappropriate for parents to speak to College instructors, even though they may have paid the student’s tuition.  Parents or legal guardians are required to contact the high school counselor or administration.  
  • Students are encouraged to meet with instructors before the last day to withdraw.  Before withdrawing, please consult with the high school counselor and College instructor to ensure withdrawal is warranted.  Withdrawal dates are posted in the College calendar.
  • Grades on transcripts are permanent; they can never be deleted.  If a student receives the grade of “F” and retakes the course, both grades will show on the transcript.  
  • The grades of “A”, “B”, “C”, and “D” are passing.  The grade of “F” is a failing grade. Most four-year institutions require a minimum grade of “C” for a course to be considered for transfer. 

IMPORTANT: When students take a dual credit or accelerated credit class, they are establishing a college transcript and the courses become a part of the student’s permanent college transcript. This academic information is transferred to colleges or universities they wish to attend in the future.  In addition, grades received for dual credit classes that also count toward the requirements of high school graduation may impact the student’s high school GPA. Students should be aware that failing or dropping courses may have an impact on college financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

Grade Point Average (GPA) Computation

The Grade Point Average (GPA) is calculated by dividing the total quality points earned by the total credit hours attempted.

Grading System

A..................................................................................Excellent (90-100)

B..........................................................................................Good (80-89)

C......................................................................................Average (70-79)

D......................................................................................Passing (60-69)

F..................................................................................Failure (Below 60)


W.................................................................Withdrawn Prior to midterm 

A grade of “I” (Incomplete) is assigned when the quality of work has been passing, but the student has been prevented by illness or other justifiable cause from completing the required work, or from taking the final examination. If the cause is personal illness, the student must present a statement signed by the attending physician. A grade of “Incomplete” is calculated into the Grade Point Average (GPA) as an “F.” The “I” must be cleared before the end of the following term or it will be changed to an “F.” A student does not have to register for the course again in order to remove an incomplete grade. A grade of “W” (WITHDRAWN) is assigned without academic penalty when the student withdraws from class prior to the last day of class. 


All schedule changes for dual enrollment courses must be made during the official schedule change period. Students should contact their counselor to initiate a schedule change. 


After the schedule change period, a student who drops a course may do so by completing a Dual Drop/Withdrawal Form. Students must drop a course by the last regularly scheduled day of class in order to receive the grade of “W”.


Students are responsible for the review of their grades at the end of each semester. Students who appeal a grade must do so by the end of the schedule change period of the semester following the one in which the grade was assigned. No grades may be appealed after the schedule change period has ended. If the student feels that a grade is incorrect, he/she should contact the instructor for that course, who will initiate a Change of Grade Form, if necessary. If the instructor does not agree that the grade should be changed, the student can begin the Due Process for Student Academic Grievance outlined in the Student Handbook section of the BSCC Catalog.


The College publishes a list of holidays and other closure dates (including Spring Break).  The high school should provide the same to the College.  Students should be aware of any calendar conflicts/discrepancies prior to the first day of class (See attendance policy above).


The annual academic calendar in the BSCC College Catalog applies to all students including Dual Enrollment students.  The term calendar also appears on the class schedule, along with the final examination schedule.  Students are responsible for noting such relevant dates as holidays and the last day to withdraw without penalty.  


Your success as a Dual Enrollment or Accelerated student at Bevill State Community College is of paramount importance to us.  One of the first things you need to learn as a new Bevill State student is that you need to gain access to four critical online sectors:  Canvas, OneACCS and OneACCS Student Email.

Whether you are taking an online course (which you can access 24/7) or a traditional course, your instructor will be using Canvas (an online course management system) to deliver your assignments, announcements, homework, and more.  Be sure you log in to Canvas daily and follow all instructions posted by your instructor.  

How to Log Into Canvas

Students will use their entire BSCC student email address (first initial of their first name+their entire last name+last 4 digits of their Their password will be BSCCmmddyy (BSCC+their six-digit date of birth in the format of two-digit month + two-digit day + two-digit year). This is the same login that students use to access OneACCS.

Be sure you log in to Canvas daily and follow all instructions posted by your instructor.  If you are taking an online course, you will NOT report to a physical classroom.  Rather, your class will be conducted (via Canvas).  As an online student, you can access your course anytime at your convenience.  Keep in mind, though, that all online courses have weekly deadlines and posting requirements, so it is important to log in frequently throughout each week, stay organized, meet all deadlines, take all quizzes and tests, and participate in all online discussions and activities.

NOTE:  If you encounter login problems, call Computer Services at 1-800-648-2171 ext. 5210 or 5410             

OneACCS and Bevill State Student Login Changes

All Dual Enrollment and Accelerated students should use their OneACCS student email address. Please remember this may be the only method your instructor will use in contacting or sending messages, reminders, and notifications to you as a student, particularly if you are an online student. 

Bear Alert (Emergency Notification System)

As part of BSCC’s ongoing effort to safeguard students, faculty, and staff, the College has implemented an emergency communications system. Known as Bear Alert, the system allows students, faculty, and staff to receive time-sensitive emergency messages in the form of e-mail, voice, and text messages. You will only be contacted through the system in the event of an emergency.  All BSCC students, faculty, and staff who have valid student IDs are automatically signed up to receive text and voice message emergency alerts. Students will receive this through their OneACCS student email accounts. Individuals must access their accounts initially through their OneACCS account, to configure their settings to receive notifications through several methods including voicemail, email, and text messages. These records are updated each semester.


What is Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit?

Eligible rising 10th, 11th, and 12th grade high school students may enroll in a course that provides both college credit and high school credit for the same course.  Serious consideration and counseling should be provided for 10th grade students to ensure they have the social maturity for college-level work. 

What is the difference between Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit and Articulated Credit? Articulated Credit allows a student to receive credit for a high school course when the content matches the college curriculum for a “like course”.  The course has been approved by both the local school system and the College.  The student receives the articulated college credit for the course upon graduation from the high school and admission to BSCC.  Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit means a high school student is enrolled in a college course that will be used for both high school credit and college credit.  

What is the difference between Dual Enrollment and Accelerated High School Students? The Accelerated High School Program allows a high school student to enroll in a college class for college credit only.  The Accelerated High School student does not receive high school credit for the college course.  Dual Enrollment means a high school student is enrolled in a college course that will be used for both high school credit and college credit.  

How does a Dual Enrollment class meet high school requirements?

Typically, students must complete three semester credit hours at the postsecondary level equal to one credit (Carnegie unit) at the high school level in the same or related subject.  (There are specific requirements regarding English credits.)  Each participating local education agency/school system (LEA) has the final authority on equivalencies.  

What are the costs associated with Dual Enrollment courses?

Students are responsible for the cost of tuition, fees, textbooks, and materials/supplies as required in the syllabus of each course. Dual enrollment students may enroll in the BSCC approved tuition payment plan.   

When and where can I take the class?

Classes may be offered at your local high school or on one of BSCC’s campuses. Students can schedule classes at their high school with their high school counselors. Students may take courses at BSCC during the day, evening, or online during the school year and during the summer semester.               

Will Dual Enrollment courses transfer to other colleges and universities?

Academic transfer courses will transfer to most colleges and universities in Alabama. Alabama Transfers provides information on courses that transfer from BSCC to Alabama’s public four-year institutions. Students who plan to attend a college or university out of state should contact the institution for specific transfer information. Career technical courses are not designed for transfer.  However, these courses allow students to get a jump-start in a technical career program at BSCC. These courses can lead to an Associate in Applied Science degree or certificate and help with early employment opportunities in today’s highly skilled workforce.  

Is the coursework challenging?

As college-level instruction, dual enrollment courses are rigorous courses that represent one of the accelerated mechanisms by which high school students can advance their course of study and postsecondary goals.  Dual enrollment faculty must have college-level teaching credentials and eligible students must prove college readiness evidenced by their GPA and maturity.

Is Dual Enrollment right for everyone?

The dual enrollment program is an opportunity to take challenging courses and accelerated educational opportunities.  Students who successfully complete dual enrollment courses will receive credit toward their college degree.  Students should understand, however, that dual enrollment courses are college courses and the amount of work necessary to succeeding in dual enrollment courses may be much greater than in high school courses. In addition, dual enrollment courses become a part of a student’s permanent college transcript and are calculated into the student’s permanent College GPA.  It is important to do well in these courses to realize all the benefits of dual enrollment.  


  • Participating local boards of education and Bevill State Community College will develop a Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit Agreement.
  • For upcoming academic year, high schools must submit course proposals by March 31st.  Submission of the request does not guarantee approval.
  • Courses offered shall be drawn from the College’s existing academic inventory of courses offered for credit.  Courses numbered below 100 and physical education (PED) courses are not eligible for Dual Credit.
  • Minimum enrollment for a Dual Enrollment class is eight students.  If a proposed class does not meet the minimum enrollment requirement, the College reserves the right to cancel the course.
  • Dual Enrollment courses will be taught at the college level.  Instructors are required to follow the prescribed course syllabus meeting all of the course objectives.  
  • Course content will be monitored by site visits.  The appropriate department head or staff member will visit each class site to observe instruction and review evaluation instruments.

Unless otherwise designated, the high school counselor will serve as the high school point of contact.

  • The Counselor will distribute information to high school students.
  • The Counselor will collect and submit forms to the College contact for processing by designated deadlines. 
  • The Counselor will work with the College contact to determine academic and CTE classes to be offered at the high school by March 31st of each year.  
  • The Counselor will submit the appropriate secondary course number that crosswalks with the postsecondary course number.


The local Board of Education and Superintendent’s office will work with the College to ensure that the high school facilities meet the expectations and criteria required for college classes and are appropriate for college-level instruction that includes the following:

  • The Board of Education will ensure that College faculty and dual credit students have appropriate access to all available instructional resources and essential technology, including Wi-Fi access on the high school site if possible;
  • The Board of Education shall permit access to the Colleges electronic learning resources when the course is taught on the high school campus;
  • The Board of Education shall provide and/or make aware all emergency policies, procedures, and protocol to college faculty who are teaching on-site;
  • Any on-site high school campus science courses shall meet the laboratory safety standards and have material/equipment required for College courses available in all labs in which classes are being taught that comply with College science program requirements.


The School District will ensure that the classroom environment is safe and conducive to college-level learning by:

  • Designating an established classroom(s) for the college dual credit classes;
  • Assuring that interruptions of instruction, such as removing students for high school activities or classroom announcements other than official business or emergencies, are minimized while the college dual enrollment class in in session;
  • In the case of unavoidable cancellation of classes or any emergency situation, the high school will inform the College as soon as possible.              


Dual Enrollment instructors shall be faculty of the College.  Faculty must be under the ultimate control and supervision of the College.  The College will provide faculty orientation, supervision, and evaluation. A high school teacher employed to teach Dual Enrollment courses will be designated as an adjunct faculty member of the College and therefore must meet the credentialing requirements of the Alabama Community College System and applicable accrediting agencies.  Documentation of appropriate faculty credentials which meet or exceed accrediting agencies’ requirements must be on file at the College.  Faculty credentials shall be provided to the appropriate secondary officials as needed to meet credentialing standards of appropriate accrediting agencies. 

Faculty Compensation

The College shall be responsible for the compensation of the faculty in accordance with Alabama Community College System and/or College policies. Faculty may not receive dual compensation for instructional time.

Application for Employment

  • Any instructor proposing to teach a college course is required to complete a Bevill State Community College Application for Employment.
  • Instructor must have official transcripts from all institutions attended, both graduate and undergraduate, sent to the Office of Human Resources prior to employment.
  • Instructor is required to contact BSCC Office of Human Resources prior to the beginning of classes for completion of all necessary documents.
  • Any new instructor must set up an appointment with the designated division chair to obtain information about course, syllabus, textbook, and any other information pertaining to the course.


  • All students are asked to evaluate their instructor each semester.  This evaluation also includes dual enrollment instructors who teach at the high schools.  Students complete the evaluations through Canvas.
  • Dual Enrollment instructors will be monitored by site visits.  The appropriate college department head or staff member will visit each class site to observe instruction and review evaluation instruments.


  • Dual Enrollment courses will be taught at the collegiate level. Bevill State Community College department syllabi must be followed.
  • All e-mail communications will be conducted using assigned OneACCS account.
  • The instructor should follow the college/department policy regarding grading procedures.
  • Instructors will use current College approved textbook for course content.
  • Instructors will be aware that all BSCC policies apply when using off-site services for job related activities.  Please review the Employee Handbook at


Dual Enrollment

Business Office

Fayette/PCEC Campuses    800-648-3271 x5110
Hamilton Campus   800-648-3271 x5319
Jasper Campus 800-648-3271 x5714
Pickens County Education Center 800-648-3271 x5635
Sumiton Campus       800-648-3271 x4203

Disability Services

College-Wide 800-648-3271 x5385
Fayette Campus/PCEC                 800-648-3271 x5102
Hamilton Campus 800-648-3271 x5375
Jasper Campus 800-648-3271 x5901
Sumiton Campus 800-648-3271 x5901

Student Services/Campus Recruiters

Fayette Campus 800-648-3271 x5108
Hamilton Campus 800-648-3271 x5107
Jasper Campus 800-648-3271 x5415
Pickens County Education Center 800-648-3271 x5632
Sumiton Campus 800-648-3271 x5415

Testing Services

Fayette Campus 800-648-3271 x5102
Hamilton Campus 800-648-3271 x5102
Jasper Campus 800-648-3271 x5901
Pickens County Education Center 800-648-3271 x5639
Sumiton Campus 800-648-3271 x5409

Campus Maps
Fayette Campus 

Hamilton Campus

Jasper Campus                                                

Sumiton Campus

Pickens County Educational Center